Monday, April 13, 2009

Top Ten Soups / Stews

As a kid, I was really keen on eating soup or stew. I didn't dislike soups, but I always felt like they were a side dish, or something you ate when a "real" meal wasn't available.

After college, however, I found myself eating more and more soup. Soup is especially awesome for lunch - and even better when you are slightly sick. I'm constantly wanting to eat it more and more. So I figured that I would list my top ten favorite soups and stews. And for the record, I'm still confused what exactly the difference is between a stew and a soup. I still say that they are the same thing. So I'm including them on the same list. You can argue in the comments.


10.) Chicken Noodle Soup - Okay, is this a bland addition or what? Everyone in the world eats this stuff, or reads incredibly sappy books that use it as a title. But when you are sick, there is NOTHING better. Now, the chunkier it is, the better, and it absolutely needs celery. I don't eat this often, but when I do get a chance, I relish every moment. It also probably has the best "drink" when you are done. And oddly, I like it with white meat. I need a bit more chewy-ness in my soup.


9.) Split Pea Soup - I know that a lot of people don't like this soup, and it does have one of the nastiest colors in existence. But this soup - which needs to be thick and delicious, can be simply amazing. Now, it's almost required that you put in chunks of ham - and directly off the bone is probably the best way. It does have the worst after effects of any soup I know (except for the deadly 16 bean soup), but I say it's worth it. Needs a drop or two of Tabasco to be perfect.


8.) Beef Stew - Now this one is subjective. Beef stew is good. Dinty Moore is not. I like beef stew, but it needs to taste at least slightly fresh, not like it's been sitting on a shelf for twenty years. Sadly, I've seen many people who seem to aspire to having their stew emulate the taste and texture of Dinty Moore. I want to chew my beef and potatoes, not slurp them through a straw, thank you.


7.) Mulligan Stew - This is what I prefer to eating beef stew, actually, simply because I like my own homebrewed brand. But while the basic gist of this soup is "put whatever is on the kitchen counter in it", I still enjoy it. I add in my secret ingredients - some would likely suprise you - and make about 100 servings of this once each year. And then I eat them for the next several weeks. And I'm happy.

6.) Ham and Potato Soup - Now this may seem similar to the split pea soup mentioned above, I enjoy this one more because of the potatoes. However, much as I love the picture to the right, I love a variation without the cream. Simply boil ham, potatoes, and green beans in a broth, and then add copious amounts of vinegar. That, my friends, is heaven.


5.) Chili - Yes, I know. This could be a whole category in itself. But three things are important to note here. First of all, while rice is optional - Saltine crackers are a MUST. Secondly, the amount of meat needs to be at part with the beans, and the meat must be in chewable chunks. And finally, while I don't need to blow my brains out with spiciness, it better have a zing. This is one thing us Yankees can't get - to make our foods that serious five alarm hotness.


4.) New England Clam Chowder - This soup is found at almost every buffet I've ever gone to. However, don't these people realize that you actually have to put more than one clam in per soup bowl. Lots of clams are needed, and then you also need a good amount of bacon and cheddar cheese. Then you can sit back and be simply happy as you eat one of the best dishes in existence.


3.) Mandu Guk - What? A soup you haven't heard of? That's because it's native to Korea, and it's one of the best soups in existence. Made from mandu (basically dumplings filled with meat), rice cakes, onions, and seaweed - it tastes much better than it sounds. I ask for this soup on a continual basis, and given the vast different amounts of mandu that are available - I think the variations are tremendous.


2.) Manhatten Clam Chowder - Why yes, I do enjoy me some clam chowder, how could you tell? I like the creamy flavor of New England, but tomato trumps milk, in my opinion. I get this one less often, because it requires more ingredients, but that just makes it better when I do get to eat it.

1.) Kimchee Chigae - And my favorite is yet another Korean soup. It's made of the kimchee - the most famous Korean dish in existence, and it's spicy as all get out. Now you can have it with spam and tuna, but it's at its best with pork. I love it, and think I could eat it every day. I never thought I would be keen on eating tofu, but this dish just makes it delectable. Wonderful. Wonderful. And wonderful.


Think I'm wrong? Got some better soups/stews? Tell me in the comments!

10 comments:

  1. Well, I would have to agree on SOME of these soups. Since I haven't had the opportunity to try the Korean soups, I'll have to withhold my opinion on those.
    I would probably add tomato soup (made with water, not milk!) which would of course be accompanied by a grilled cheese sandwich.
    I also love Italian Wedding Soup - one of Dad's favorites too. The meatballs in this are awesome!
    As for chili, which we have quite frequently here, I love the white rice but use tortilla chips instead of crackers. Just my preference. Oh, that, and a big dollop of sour cream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you add outside stuff (i.e. grilled cheese sandwich) you destroy the inegrity of the list.

    EVERY soup here tastes good with a grilled cheese sandwich.

    Sour cream is good, but it's for fatties. And I'm trying to be a skinny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got to agree with Jeanette -- tomato soup ought to be on that list. It doesn't need a grilled cheese sandwich to be great. I also love tomato rice soup. Another favorite is French onion soup with that garlic bread and cheese baked on top - Mmmmmmmmmm! I also have to agree that one of my top favorites is the Ham & Green Beans soup, BUT NOT WITH VINEGAR! BTW, you can get light sour cream and it tastes just as good as the fattening kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Korean food!!!!!! And we miss you guys too =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think older I get the more I love soup. The only soup missing from the list is good old Minestrone. Fondest memory trying NE Clam Chowder in every restaurant on my last trip to New England area.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't do the Tomato soup thang; I lived off it with Minute rice in University. But, I would add Ramen and Bean with Bacon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where's borscht? Could just be my Ukrainian heritage talking, but I had an AMAZING borscht today. Also, I'm really surprised at some of the bland choices on your list. Have you tried split pea soup with ham AND sour kraut? mmmmm.

    As for tomato soup, it is far better and richer with milk. The Costco tomato soup made with milk and roasted peppers is outstanding.

    I forget some of their names, but Vietnamese food has a large selection of good soups. On the subject of Asian soups, I think a nice Hot and Sour soup is up there on the rankings.

    I'd suggest to revise your list, most of them are really just bland and traditional choices. Spice it up a little!

    By the way, I'll have to remember to try those soups the next time I go to a Korean restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good list but definately needs this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZkin-ZuSg
    The best Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup- yum

    ReplyDelete
  9. What about Gom Tang! That's an awesome Korean soup.

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://luxuryrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/03/delicious-ham-and-potato-soup.html

    ReplyDelete