Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Top Ten Hymns

I love singing the great hymns of the faith, and know hundreds of them. This was one of the hardest top tens I've ever put together!! I didn't want to leave any great song out, but managed to leave out dozens of them anyway.

So here are my top ten hymns for a congregation to sing together. If you ever have me over to preach in your church, these are the songs you can pick. :)


10. A New Name in Glory
- C. Austin Miles - This song just expresses the complete joy that we have as Christians, knowing for certain that we are now on our way to heaven. This song is a joyful one - completely capturing the joy of the salvation experience.

9. Victory in Jesus - E. M. Bartlett - Many times we can look around and feel like Christians are the underdogs. This song is a great reminder that our victory has nothing to do with us - but is all about Jesus. (You might notice a theme in my list).

8. Heaven came Down - John W. Peterson - Mr. Peterson has done some great songs, but this is yet another one that is just gushingly joyful about how wonderful the day of salvation was. We should feel that joy throughout each and every day - and this song is a good reminder.

7. - Christ Arose! - Robert Lowry - Every time I sing this song, I want to jump out of my seat during the chorus in excitement. Jesus arose! What a great thing this is! What a time to just be absolutely giddy with excitement. I serve a living God!

6. - Dwelling in Beaulah Land - C. Austin Miles - Okay, perhaps I just shouting "Praise God" and "Oh Yes" in the chorus, but the song is one to remind us that we are not just living in the world anymore. Sure, there are tons of things going wrong with society today, but NOTHING can move us from the love of Jesus Christ.

5. - The Bible Stands - Haldor Lillenas - We can use logic, reason, books, songs, and more to promote the gospel today. But men will fall, words will fade, and arguments can be diminished. But the Bible stands! Man can do his best to destroy it, but the Word of God can not be destroyed. Hooray!

4. - In My Heart There Rings a Melody - Elton M. Roth - This song is the direct inspiration for the naming of my oldest daughter, Melody. I firmly believe that we should be proponents of the "joy of our salvation" (Psalm 51), and this song just makes us want to sing praises to our God!

3. - And Can it Be - Charles Wesley and Thomas Campbell - I suspect this will be on many people's lists, and if you ever heard a church robustly singing this song, it's hard to beat. Amazing Love! How can it be?!!! That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?

2. - He Keeps Me Singing - Luther B. Bridgers - This is similar to # 4, and I like both songs for the same reason. But the chorus of this song, especially when sung with six different parts, just sweetly praises the name of Jesus in such a wonderful fashion. I find myself whistling this one all the time.

1. - He Lives - Alfred H. Ackley - Again, there's nothing that just thrills me as much as the fact that I serve a living Savior. And this song lets me joyfully proclaim that. How can you sing this song and yet be a Christian who is always frowning? It's just not possible, I tell you.

(Oh, and for those who think I should have put a Fanny Crosby Song on here, To God Be the Glory almost made the list).

5 comments:

  1. Beatiful, absolutely. Nice list with classic and unforgettable hymns. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite hymn is definitely "Take My Life and Let It Be."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heaven came Down is my favorite hymn..
    Its really fantastic..

    Safe Online Games

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who woulda thunk it? And you're a math teacher - kind of a man of science. Weird.

    ReplyDelete