Sunday, February 15, 2009

Time to read.

As a child, I loved to read. I read every book I could find, no matter the subject. I read science books, biographies - but I kept coming back to fiction. I still love to read a good yarn, although I am getting pickier and pickier.

I am glad to see that this reading gene has passed on to Melody. Here she is, with a set of books that Grandma and Grandpa gave her - a set of the classics. Now, they are watered down - which in some cases is good, in other cases I think I might prefer the original book. But either way, I'm glad she is being exposed to them.

She walks around with her nose in a book, manages to get one read in a day, reads at night when she thinks I'm not watching, and loses herself in books.

Now, this can get someone into trouble - I was almost hit by a car while walking and reading at one point - but I still heavily encourage this. TV and movies are everywhere - but there's nothing like a good book. Reading is a tremendous skill, and I want all my kids to do it. Holly pretends to read, Amy reads simple books - I want to see the whole family squashed up on a couch, reading books.

Books - in English - aren't too easy to find here. I finally found a used bookstore in Seoul, but the books are still about $5 each, a far cry from the 25 cent books I can find while in America. But I sill manage to find them, and I keep many bookshelves stocked with them at home.

I can't wait to introduce Melody to Redwall, Little House on the Prairie, and more. The only thing holding us back is time. So many books, so little time.

Now I need something good to read myself. I've run out of books in my own library. Maybe I'll read Melody's.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you have a stack of rules you are reading beside your bed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like reading rules, but it's just not the same. After a while your eyes cross.

    ReplyDelete