Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Top Ten things I saw in Malaysia

Well, it's been a while since I posted - which is due to two things. One, I went on a trip to Malaysia, and two, I was sick for a week or so after the trip.

On the trip back, I was just starting to get sick, so I foolishly checked my carry-on onto the plane. On it was my digital camera and my iPod, and both were "mysteriously" missing when I got back.

So gone are the 800 or so pictures and videos that I took while there. But I wanted to tell about my trip anyway, so I figured I would do so in the form of a top ten list.

We went to Kota Kinabalu, in the island of Borneo in Malaysia. Malaysia is still my favorite country to visit, because it's a whirlwind of colors, languages, cultures, and more. Not only that, but there is a very high class city feel, right next to the jungle. Beauty and more. I love going there for so many reasons. This time I was going as the sponsor of the senior class at our school. While it was fun going with the kids, I really am looking forward to going there with my family sometime. So what did I enjoy?

10.) Banana Boat: I've not ridden one of these before, but it wasn't that expensive, and everyone assured me it was a lot of fun. So me and five of the boys loaded up and off we went! And everyone was right - it was a tremendous amount of fun. I sat in the middle, confident in my life jacket until suddenly a swift turn by the boat driver landed all of us in the water. This was actually pretty funny (except for the two boys behind me who suddenly had 250 pounds of man fly right through them). Then I realized that we were out in the bay, and I had to climb back on the stupid banana boat. So eventually (after a great deal of tugging and pushing by the boys) I got back on. The jerk of a driver dumped us once again in the shallows, where it was easier to get on board, and then once again out in the middle of the bay. The third time I was literally screaming at him to not be a jerk and dump us again. Falling was fun, climbing in was not! And the third time, I just could not get back on the banana boat. This is certainly a tip that I need to go on a diet (which I'm on for ten days now!), but also that I should improve my upper body strength. Everyone was good sports about it - except for the evil driver, who laughed and laughed - and this picture shows us right after we got back to shore (I road in the boat on the way back).

9.) Fireflies: As a kid, I loved to stay out after dark and chase the fireflies (or lightning bugs). On the last day of our trip, we road a boat down a river to look at monkeys in the trees. This was pretty neat, and I had a good time. But the best part was after dark, when they drove us down the river at night. Fireflies landed in the trees by the thousands, providing natural Christmas lights. It's one of the coolest things I've ever seen, and I'm certainly glad we went. It was a bit odd travelling down a dark river with no lights on the boats, and my mind wandered to thinking about snakes and more. But nothing happened. Maybe next time someone will get swallowed, and then I'll have a story to tell!



8.) Board Games: I can already hear some of you screaming about my playing board games while in one of the most beautiful places on earth. But first of all, I only did it for a few hours, and secondly, I love meeting boardgamers from all over the world. The folks at CarcaSean (an obvious play on Carcassonne) were very friendly and nice - they knew who I was, and we even managed to trade a few games. It was a great time, and I plan to go back and visit them next time I'm in Kota Kinabalu.

Games played included Time is Money, A Castle for all Seasons, and Dominion. I won only one game, but had a blast - and everyone was excellent in both attitude and strategy.

7.) Shopping: While I don't consider myself a shopper (although this is NOT true when I have money and am in the Youngsan Electronics Market), I do like to find unusual and interesting things to buy - and Malaysia is full of them. Although I vacated one open market when I saw rats that were the size of cats (I kicked at a cat I saw for not doing it's God-given job), I had a great time hunting around. I bought a lot of spices, but I'm most impressed with the Malaysian teas - they have a very good flavor.

6.) Orangutan: I had to look this up to see if I spelled it correctly, and I didn't. Big shocker there, but I did have a great time hunting these fellows down (in my camera's viewfinder, people!) The resort we stayed at had an attached Orangutan reserve, and I spent an hour or so looking at them eat and swing through the trees. It was very neat, and I was impressed by the keepers telling me honestly that it was the best job they had ever had - some of them had been there for twenty years.

5.) Sea Diving: I road in some kind of "Scubadoo" device that allowed us to go around one of the reefs and check out the fish. It certainly looks dorky (and isn't cheap!) and I was very undecided as to whether I should use it or not. But once I was down there, with literally tens of thousands of fish swimming around me, I couldn't believe that I had hesitated. One of the neatest experiences of my life - this was absolutely amazing, and I'm glad I went. Feeding the fish, seeing the "real" Nemo, and doing almost no work in the process, this was incredible.

4.) Snorkling: Now snorkling is not as amazing as going under the sea, but I put it up a point simply because it's free, and therefore I did it longer. Just going out about twenty feet into the water with a bag of bread crumbs will bring hundreds of tropical fish around. It's like swimming in an aquarium. I had a great time doing so, and headed out deeper and deeper, until I felt something nip at my ankles. Screaming like one of my girls, I soon found that it was simply some of the fish, but it was certainly unnerving. It didn't keep me out of the water, but I did dance around like a puppet while feeding the fish. I would gladly do this again.
3.) Pool: Now I will admit that I've scoffed before at the idea of a pool right next to the ocean. Why go swimming in the pool when you can jump into the waves. Now I know. While there's something wonderful about feeling the tidal waves wash over you, water that contains neither sand nor salt is just relaxing. I spent quite a bit of time in the pool, and if my ears are sunburned a bit, I don't care. It was an amazing time, with amazing views. I have been won over to the idea of the resort.



2.) Food: Without a doubt, Shangra La hotels make the best breakfasts in the world. Being able to go to the cook and order a custom double-meat, double-cheese, extra of everything else omelot is one great way to start the day. I never missed breakfast while there, and enjoyed the wide range of foods three or four times a day. Malaysia is amazing because they have restaurants and foods from all over the world, yet for rock bottom prices. A McDonald's Meal, for example, is about $2, and I went to eat at a fancy seafood restaurant with plates and plates of food, for only about $18. I ate and ate and ate and ate. And yet I still think I lost weight, if only from falling off that accursed banana boat!

1.) Speed Boat: I've ridden in boats before, but never a speedboat in bay with the sun beating on my back. We road out to islands, to docks, and more, and if they had refused to allow me to leave the boat, I think I would have been quite content. I can't believe how much fun, and how relaxing it is, to have the spray of the water hit you while driving at 60kmh out on the bay. It's something that I've thought about, and wished I could do again - easily making it my favorite activity. When I retire someday (at age 80, likely), I think I'll get a boat and drive it around every weekend. This is amazingly fun!

And that's about it. I could talk for much longer about the fun we had, and the silly stories that happened from our time there, but why not save those for anecdotes in the future?

1 comment:

  1. Cool - I want to go there! That's too bad that your camera was stolen! I would hate to have lost all those pictures!
    funny about the orangutan spelling - I like how you said "I road in a boat" and "I road in some kind of 'Scubadoo' device". A road is a path on which you travel; "rode" is the past tense of "ride."
    It's not too often that I catch my big brother in a writing boo-boo...

    ReplyDelete