Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Big News

Hello again from Korea!

We've been in Korea for nine years, and quite a bit has happened in that time frame. Five of our six girls were born here, I became pastor of Uijongbu Baptist Church, and my wife and I celebrated our tenth wedding anniversary.

God has been good to us during our time here. From Clara's time at the hospital this year, to the triumphs and tragedies at school at church, we have constantly seen the faithfulness of God.

At this point in time, we have, through prayerful consideration, decided to leave Uijongbu Baptist Church, and Korea. This hasn't been an easy decision for us, and was one that was made after much prayer and discussion.

It's not because we are having problems here - on the contrary, things have gone really well. We love Korea and the folk who live here, and have really enjoyed the past nine years. There have been "down" moments, but the wonderful moments outweight them greatly.

I feel that God has called me to work with children and teens at a local church, and that's not really possible in my current situation. We also are looking for a bit of a "furlough", having been here for many years.

So where are we going? Who knows!! We are praying about this - but we do know that we are willing to go anywhere. We will be staying in Korea until June/July 2010 - so we will spend the next months looking and praying about where God wants us next.

And you can help!

1.) PRAY for us. Pray that God shows us exactly what He wants us to do.

2.) If you know a local Bible-believing church that needs help, let us know! I'm willing to go anywhere, really!

3.) Our moving expenses for this are going to be quite large, I'm sure. We need to raise probably $15,000 when you factor in airplane tickets, shipping, and setup expenses. We're pinching pennies here, but if you'd like to get involved - let us know! Ask God if he would have you get involved in this. The easiest way to support us would be via Paypal at tomvasel@gmail.com, but there are other ways - if you're interested, just let me know!

4.) Pray for us. I know I mentioned that in # 1, but it's vital. Pray that God shows us where to go, that we find a good ministry to be part of, and that our financial needs are met.

Thank you to everyone who supported us via prayers and love while here in Korea, but for now - I'm still here in Korea, working at school and church - and don't plan to leave yet! But we do need to start making preparations now! I'll keep you informed over the coming months.

Psalm 37:23
The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Tom.

    In a way I´m sorry to hear youre leaving, but in another way I´m happy fore you. I hope every thing will workout and that you will find the new job youre looking for. If there is anny other thing you might need help with don´t be a stranger.

    Best regards.

    /Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tom & Family,

    I will pray that your family will find a great place that needs your gifts to continue helping people. I wish all the best and hope your family will keep safe during the move. It may seem impossible but what you've done is impossible for most: moving overseas; raising a large family; successful job; and a good lively hood.

    In best regards,

    Derek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom, didn't know you have lived in Korea for so long. Are your children bilingual in Korean and English? It's probably going to be a big change for them since they lived there their whole lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tom, do you have some kind of statement of faith or what you believe, that would be relevant for finding a new church where you would fit doctrinally?
    Also, are there any places where we could read or listen to some of your sermons or preached messages?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't have any place where you can listen to current sermons - we had trouble with our website. You can hear some from previous years here, though

    http://ujbbc.com/?m+200803

    Email me at tomvasel@gmail.com, and I'll send you my doctrinal statement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a religious man myself, so I will pray for you and your family in my own way. All in all I wish you and your family all the best whereever life takes you. I just hope it will be some good place. And ofc, some place where you will continue to post on your blog and on Dice Tower.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete