Friday, July 9, 2010

Landing in America

Well, as some of you who read this blog might know, we have arrived in Homestead, FL!

The trip was not exactly a nightmare, but I'm not terribly upset that it's over, either.

Observations about Homestead / America.

1.) Lots of Spanish here! It's time to brush off what I learned in high school / college.

2.) Everything is bigger in America! The small drinks at fast food restaurants are bigger than the "super size" ones in Korea.

3.) Going into Wallmart was staggering. I could not believe the massive amount of food and other goods that are available in the US. This truly is the land of plenty.

4.) This county is flat, flat, flat! And that's great news if you ride bikes. I'm very pleased to not have to go up any hills.

5.) Hot weather is here, but I don't mind, I'm soaking it up with a smile. There is a nice strong sea breeze most of the time, so it's not too bad. We have to keep using sun tan lotion on the girls especially, as we don't want "bacon"-ettes.

6.) Jet lag is terrible. But it's HORRIBLE when a baby is involved. Just sayin'

7.) I got an iPhone! If you need to contact me, it's 305-878-6604.

8.) People down South, as I am remembering, are very nice. And very slow. This will be good for my Yankee frenetic pace.

9.) I love tacos.

10.) God is good!

9 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the US. And yes, this is definitely the land of the large when it comes to food. It's kind of crept up recently. I remember when the super-XL drinks were 32 oz, not the normal "medium" drinks. As one comedian said - if you're drinking a 64oz soft drink and need a complimentary refill - you're drinking too much soda. :)

    I can't even imagine jet lag with a baby. We had enough trouble with just a long car trip. I hope that the trip was kind to your wife, though. I'm sure that couldn't have been easy.

    And for the curious - how _did_ you manage to entertain all of those girls on the trip to the States? I know there was a contest going for suggestions, but wasn't sure what actually ended up happening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tom glad to hear all is well, I happened to stumble across your youtube channel while looking for some decent board game reviews, and I have very much enjoyed your opinions on various games. Later I found out that you are a pastor and whatnot which allows me to stereotype you as an even nicer guy than you appeared in the first place! ;) But my dad is a pastor and it is nice to see the great work you do and your passion for board games. I look forward to all your future reviews, and I hope your life goes well with you and all your girls. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home, Tom. The question nagging me is whether you've been able to carve out as nice a gaming storage area for yourself as you had in Korea. The wall-of-games behind you in your reviews is a thing of beauty. Now that you're at a different school, will you still be able to play games with your students on a regular basis?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am surprised that you have not yet posted the big announcement here. Well, I suppose you are still busy with moving and tracking down freight and such. But congratulations anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Woah, posting your phone number to the internet when you have over 4k subscribers on youtube, careful. Love your reviews. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a game I actually own on your top 100, let alone #3 (Heroscape). Thought I was the only person who played that game too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I discovered your blog about a year ago via boardgamegeek which led me to The Dice Tower which led to here. Love your video reviews. I have bought a few games because of your reviews.

    Glad to see you made it to the states safely and with most of your games in one piece. Your big announcement video was funny too.

    As you said, God is indeed good.

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  7. make sure you post a video of your new game room, best wishes with everything Tom.
    ---
    Brian

    ReplyDelete
  8. God is good! And thank God for your game reviews Tom, because they are AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom,
    I stumbled across your youtube site looking for game reviews. Great job! We also recently relocated to Fl and I serve as a Children's Pastor here. Would love to connect sometime.
    Looking up,
    Keith

    ReplyDelete